Loving Your Success Blog

Lov-ing, the active, dynamic form of love, is your most powerful tool for true success. Apply self loving with tools from psychology and practical spirituality to gain Personal Peace, Joy and Fulfillment. Then you can more easily achieve goals, from reducing stress to creating a healthier lifestyle, a happier work and family life, and student and career success. "Helping you love yourself into success!" Visit me at http://www.powerofpersonalpeace.com.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Question about Issues with Giving to the Homeless

The Question
"Why do I have issues with giving homeless people spare change when my car is full of spare change I don't really use?  I often lie to the homeless and say I don't have change because I feel like just the way I got the spare change, they could have it as well but they are just lazy and don't want to work."

Judging Others
The way your question is worded, you sound irritated and judgmental about these homeless people.  The implication is that you have worked hard for your money and they could do the same.  From my perspective, it is very human to make these judgments and I've certainly done my share of them.  On the other hand, when we are committed to learning and growing and following a faith-based path of upliftment, when we judge others, that judgment seems to rebound on us.  You might be . . .

Judging Yourself
Again, the way your question is worded, it sounds like you might be judging yourself as 1) unwilling to give, 2) lying and 3) judging them as lazy. All of these could easily fall into a category of being un-spiritual or un-Christian or simply not being a nice person.  

Forgive Yourself
Funnily enough, the key here is to forgive yourself for the judgments you are holding against yourself.  Example:  "I forgive myself for judging myself as unwilling to give to the homeless.  I forgive myself for judging myself as lying to them.  I forgive myself for judging myself for judging them as lazy."  Etc.  You can make free form statements like this, releasing any judgmental thoughts that arise as you reflect on this situation.  Self-forgiveness is one of the most powerful tools in my toolbox, and I use it frequently and am thankful to have this method of releasing negativity.

Be Willing to See the Situation Differently
One of my favorite self-talk methods when I'm not sure how to handle a situation, or I don't yet know what the best perspective would be, is to tell myself a few times, "I am willing to see this differently."  Usually, my attitude shifts, opens up, and within a day or two I get some new ways of looking at the situation.  The new ideas can come from a book, TV, another person or just my own thoughts and intuitions as I go through my day.

Hope these ideas are useful!  Blessings of loving and Light to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home