Loving Your Success Blog

Lov-ing, the active, dynamic form of love, is your most powerful tool for true success. Apply self loving with tools from psychology and practical spirituality to gain Personal Peace, Joy and Fulfillment. Then you can more easily achieve goals, from reducing stress to creating a healthier lifestyle, a happier work and family life, and student and career success. "Helping you love yourself into success!" Visit me at http://www.powerofpersonalpeace.com.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sleep, Dreams and Marijuana Questions

Twitching and Nightmares


"During the first stage of REM, I often start twitching or having dreams where I'm getting attacked by snakes or someone jumps out and scares me and I always wake up scared or in a panic.  I was wondering why this happens and why I always twitch during Stage One."

First, instead of "first stage of REM," I think you mean the first stage of sleep, falling asleep.  If that's true, then the twitches are a very common phenomenon called a hypnic jerk.  Causes are not completely understood, but these muscle contractions often appear to be triggered by stress or anxiety, or even lack of sufficient calcium in the system.

The nightmares happen during Rapid Eye Movement or REM sleep.  If I have a nightmare, I analyze it the same way I analyze other dreams, exploring every element of the dream to discover what part of me it represents.  For me, depending on what was happening in the dream, a snake might indicate my primitive responses.  A snake attacking me might be my primitive fear or anger trying to get my attention.  Other activities in the dream could give me clues about what the anger or fear is related to.  Someone jumping out at me might mean some part of myself that is usually hidden is trying to get my attention by startling me.

Does Marijuana Have Nicotine In It
No, it doesn't.  But, if it happens to be rolled up in a cigarette with nicotine tobacco, then the smoke would also contain nicotine.

It's the THC in marijuana that tickles the reward-pleasure center in the brain, creating cravings for more.  There is an interesting short article from Psychology Today that you might enjoy for more on the addictive properties of marijuana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home